Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Mom, margaritas, and motorcycles... among other things.

On the 24th of November, my mom flew to Hawaii to vist me and spend Thanksgiving with my husband and I. The last time I saw my mom was over a year ago when I went back to Michigan for my grandfathers funeral.

Thanksgiving in my house is quite the gathering. I am in the Navy so I know plenty of young sailors and marines who aren't able to go home for the holidays. My husband and I host a large dinner every year for any who wants to attend. On average I usually feed 15-20 people every year. Its alot of work but I don't mind because I love cooking and I love to watch people enjoy my cooking! This year I did have some minor difficulties with my turkey. Appernelty it wasn't completely thawed so it took an extra hour to cook but thanks to Reynolds Ovan Bags, it didn't dry out and was still super delisious.

After Thanksgiving I had a few days to chill with my mom. We did a lot of shopping which I really needed to do. At the end of this month, the hubby and I are moving to North Carolina so I need to start collecting warmer clothing. I have lived in Hawaii for 6 years and all I have are a few hoodies and a couple pairs of jeans... that is the extent of my warm clothing, I don't even have a coat.


Lets see... other things that happed last week... Oh yeah I re-enlisted in the Navy for 3 more years...go me! It was actually pretty great because my mom and husband got to witness it and be a part of my ceremony. I signed my re-enlistment contract in the same spot the the Japan surrenderd to the US in WWII, The Surrender Deck on board the USS Missouri.

The rest of my week was spent with my mom sitting by a pool in Waikiki drinking margaritas (our bonding drink of choice). We caught some rays and we had some good laughs and good buzzes. To finish up my awesome week, my family gave back to the community while doing something we love! Every year for the last 36 years, motorcyclist have been coming together to collect toys for the annual Street Bikers United Toys for Tots run. During the run, thousands of motorcycles rumble down the streets of Waikiki to deliver their donated toys. It is a sight to see! If you were in attendance you would have seen men with beards, tattoos and leather vests with barbies and teddy bears strapped to their bikes, anixous to make there donation.

The Toys for Tots run is something my husband and I look forward to every year and I am sad to say that this was our last year. We have our fingers crossed in hopes that we will find something similar to this when we get to North Carolina!


For more information about Toys for Tots in your area, go to: http://www.toysfortots.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment